Marathon Training Week 2

Like I said on my last post, I’ve been training for a number of weeks now, but I wanted to wait until I had a good solid base and higher numbers before starting to recap.

Last Sunday I had 9 miles on my training schedule. I felt great for the first half, I mean literally ran 4.5 miles feeling amazing. But when I started on mile 5, my stomach was no bueno. I took a gel at mile 3 and it brought on some major abdominal discomfort from mile 5-6. I literally walked a full mile. The pain was almost unbearable to where I wanted to lay down on the trail and wait for help. I slowly started to go again, and once I realized I wasn’t going to die I started running again. I’ve never had that reaction to this flavor of gel. It was so weird. But thanks to my walking mile my time slipped pretty bad. But damn my views were beautiful. Take the good with the bad right?

photo 1

On my way back towards my end of the trail, there was a cluster of people. Obviously I had to stop too and take a picture of this cute little box turtle!

photo 3

Thank God it wasn’t a snake. I’ve already seen a couple in the water on certain parts of the trail, but if I see one that can slither its way onto the broad-walk I will die.

I also took a hot-mess sweaty selfie. Because who would I be if I didn’t take one?

photo 2

I ran in my new Head Sweats visor. I love it. This is the cleanest bathroom on the trail. I always stop here to get water and see the facility obvi. And to use their mirror for my photoshoots.

Overall when I finished, I was exhausted. That stomach issue really hurt my time and walking in the hot sun zapped all my energy. I wish I knew why this time the gel hurt my stomach. I had plenty of water to take with it. I’ve eaten in numerous times before. I guess I’ll never know. But what I do know is my time sucked.

photo 4

UGH. Like I said, you gotta take the good with the bad. I enjoyed my first half of this run. I was able to keep my training pace for long runs. I didn’t die on the trail and that is a win too. Oh well. I did it! And that is a win. But later on in the day my right knee started to hurt. I couldn’t figure out. It later hit me that my shoes are almost done. So… I went shopping.

photo 5Oh man, those white shoes are ugly now. But the tread is almost gone. Dick’s Sporting Goods was having an amazing deal on their Mizuno’s so I snagged a pair. Same shoe, the Mizuno Wave Inspire 10s. I really heart this shoe. And I love the blue color! The “white” shoes (yes, they are still white) have less than 80 miles left on them now and that’ll be done by the end of this month. Gotta keep prepared for this marathon training!


On a serious note, the remainder of my training for last week was put on hold. My mother-in-law suffered a heart attack Tuesday night, into early Wednesday morning. I put everything on hold. I had my last run this Sunday since last Sunday. So that is why this week is very short and only includes one run. But I saw this yesterday on Runner’s World Facebook page and it explained exactly why I run.


This is what is helping get through this time with stress and worry. Running is the outlet I crave when times are tough, or when times are amazing. It is my answer to everything.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s