I’m sure its vegan, there is no meat or anything else from an animal (that I know of). I got this from Eat, Live, Run and she never has a dull recipe. They are all so good! (and good for you too! 🙂 )
The secret I found to this recipe is really sauteing the carrots, onions, and jalapeno. I’ll get to that in a minute. But make this recipe! It makes a lot and its hearty and filling, and very delicious, a triple win.
Thats my fantastic lunch at work. Can’t you tell it looks delicious? Again, make it!
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, either yellow or Vidalia, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 TBsp of olive oil
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1-28oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 2-15oz. cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup lentils, dry
- 1 quart (32 oz) vegetable stock
- salt to taste
1. GET OUT YOUR CROCK POT!
2. Saute your carrot, onion, and jalapeno on medium-high heat for 6 minutes, during last 30 seconds add your minced garlic. Take off heat.
3. In your crock pot add your cubed butternut squash, can of tomatoes with juice, drained and rinsed chickpeas, cup of dry lentils, vegetable stock, and your carrot, onion, jalapeno mix. Give one good stir and get heat to LOW. Cook for 8-10 hours. The longer it cooks, the thicker it will be so cook long and slow 🙂
4. When finished, salt to taste and enjoy!
The soup/stew last up to 5 days in the refrigerator and freezes well. Its so yummy, I promise.